Enrolling your son in our MENtorship Program
Our vision is to help raise boys to be good men with strong values, positively impacting families, communities, and society, via a long-term MENtorship program. Familiarise yourself with who we are and what we stand for by checking out the rest of our website and our Facebook page. The Character Company (TCC) is a registered Non-Profit and Public Benefit Organisation with a formal board of directors.
1. We only enroll boys in our program. We understand that the impact of absent fathers on girls is equally devastating but as an organisation, our focus is on raising boys to be good men.
2. Our primary intake age is for boys between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. Unfortunately, currently, we are unable to enroll boys outside of this age group.
3. Our program is dependent on the availability of MENtors, so please keep in mind that unless we have a MENtor in your area, we might not be able to immediately place your boy in a group.
4. There is a R300 p/month "membership fee" for boys on the program that must be paid by the mom or facilitated through a third-party sponsor.
5. Some camps and events may be at an additional cost and will be communicated via invite.
6. MENtorship sessions are held at least once a week for 2-3 hours.
7. Boys are allocated to MENtors who live or have a group in the same geographical area where the boy resides.
8. Once boys are allocated to a MENtorship group, we require attendance of at least 75% off all monthly group sessions.
9. Monitoring and evaluation of each group and boys' progress is done after every session and camp.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
1. A positive male role model offering to be part of your boy’s life for as long as he needs him.
2. Weekly activities or MENtorship sessions for age-similar groups of no more than 5 boys at a time.
3. MENtorship sessions following monthly themes and topics based on our specially designed curriculum.
4. Weekend activities where all the groups and sometimes families come together.
5. Various camps are held throughout the year.
6. A support structure for single mothers through our dedicated Moms Support department.
7. Combined get-togethers and family picnics, provides our moms with the opportunity to socialise.
Our curriculum has been designed around our 5 Values. Each week we discuss these 5 values with every boy in the program. We talk about them, what they mean and then we look at practical ways to make it part of our lives.
Respect - to treat others, their belongings and their time the way you want to be treated.
Honesty - to tell the truth even when it is difficult.
Self-discipline - to do the right thing before someone tells you to.
Courage - to face your fears and conquer them.
Kindness - to show that you have a good heart.
1. Our MENtors are volunteer men who are thoroughly vetted, screened, and trained.
2. TCC MENtors ascribe to being F.A.T. – Faithful, Available and Teachable.
3. TCC MENtors are committed to a long-term MENtorship. What that means is that we are offering to be part of a boy’s life for as long as he needs us.
4. While seeing a boy once or twice a week may not seem like a huge impact, MENtors are creating positive change in the boys' lives. They become someone who the boys can look up to and trust.
5. Our MENtors follow a strict code of conduct to provide a safe space and healthy environment for the boys.
We continue to search for positive male role models who will be prepared to step up and make the commitment to become MENtors. So, if you know of anyone from your community or church who may be a suitable candidate, please ask them to contact us.
Ready To Enrol Your Boy?
STEP 1 – FAMILIARISE YOURSELF
The Character Company is a Christian-based organisation embracing people from all walks of life, regardless of colour or creed, to work together to counter the impact of absent fathers on our families and society.
Read our statement of faith. (Click here to read it)
Check out the rest of our website to learn more about who we are and what we do
STEP 2 – COMPLETE ENQUIRY FORM
Fill in the enquiry form
STEP 3 – ENGAGE WITH OUR MOM SUPPORT DEPARTMENT
One of our Moms Support administrators will contact you within 48 hours and discuss the rest of the process.
As soon we have identified a potential MENtor for the boy, we will be in touch with you to complete the boy’s enrolment process.
To complete the enrolment process you will be requested to provide us with the following documents:
1. Signed TCC indemnity forms – one for Mom/guardian and one for each boy
2. Copy of mom/guardian’s ID or passport
3. A copy of the boy’s Birth Certificate
4. Photo (boy and mom/guardian)
5. Debit Order Mandate
If you have not heard from us within 24 hours after submitting your documents, please contact us on 010 590 3102 – Moms Support Department
STEP 4 – PLACEMENT WITH A MENTOR
Once we have found a suitable MENtor for the boy and all documents have been submitted, your boy is then allocated to the MENtorship group.
Mom is added to the MENtorship WhatsApp group.
The MENtor will contact the mom to discuss and arrange for the group sessions.
All personal information is securely stored on our “roots database”, a safe and secure custom-made platform for TCC where all information of all our moms, boys and MENtors is verified and securely stored. Should you have any questions, please contact our Mom Support Department at email@example.com or Whatsapp us at 0608246268. We aim to get back to you within 24 hours of your enquiry, but we are often out of the office raising boys to be good men so please be patient and we will get back to you as soon as possible.